Saturday 26 January 2013

New Home! And New Directions!

Finished the move to our new apartment. It's so awesome! It was kind of fun, playing it all by ear. Couchsurfing hosts here are a lot less likely to get back to you here it seems, so after spending a week and a half waiting for people to get back to us, we found ourselves 2 days before our lease ran out with no idea where we were going to live.

Lucky for us, our roommate Amy knew some friends who had an extra bedroom in their house and needed someone, so we ended up in this amazing house (a real house!) With a garden and a kitty, in Mt Eden, a really nice area of Auckland. It's really nice being out of the city proper, more trees, less dirty, the pigeons don't have messed up feet, etc. The rent is HALF of what we were paying before, and our roommates are quiet and keep to themselves a bit, but they are good people for sure.

Last week, I found out I didn't even get an interview for the science roadshow job I'd been obsessing about. It was really a let down for me.

Except it really made me re-think what I'm doing here. Even with the new house with less rent, we're not really saving much if anything after buying groceries, which is going to make traveling anywhere on the way home impossible. But most importantly, we aren't even adventuring here. We're living in the same place doing the same things every day. I work 5 days a week, which leaves no time for trips more than a couple days, plus we don't even have the money to travel if we could. It really bothered me when we moved, I realized that even in 3 months, we'd really started to accumulate stuff. Like 3 bags more than we had when we moved in. Here we are tied down not only by lack of money but again by being owned by our possessions.

And the whole situation is making both of us depressed.

One of the best rules for live I've ever heard is: If you don't like your life, change it.

I put in my two weeks at work last Wednesday, and in 11 days (can't believe it's that soon!) we're getting rid of everything that we can't fit with both of us on the bike (this is less than we came here with), going camping on Rangatoto with Amy for a few days, then heading down to Nelson - the very top of the south island - to become fruit pickers.

I've heard it's hard. I've heard it's not too bad.
I've heard it's good money. I've heard it's very little money.
I've heard it's fun. I've heard it's awful.

I've definitely got to find out.

So, that's whats on the plate next. Before we leave here I'll try to get a picture of our kitty who I'm trying to help get used to humans. She is the cutest.

Today Dar and I went to the park where they had what are apparently called 'Zorb Balls' - Just watch the video and I think you'll get the idea....You'll see I was really good at getting stuck on my head XD


No comments:

Post a Comment