Sunday 13 January 2013

Hi again!

Whats new? Well, after a heart to heart with our awesome roomy Amy, we finally have come to the conclusion that we kind of hate Auckland. It's making both of us severely depressed. Maybe it's our situation where our apartment is so crazy expensive that we've been dumpster diving for food (don't worry, we're both totally fine, we aren't even loosing weight - it was an adventure and an experience for sure, and we're back to buying food at the grocery store now!) But I really think part of it is this city. It's a business city, so many people here are into the Gucci, Prada stores on Queen street, the fancy yachts, and business suits, and I crave the pierced and tattooed, crazy haired funky with purple motorcycle people of Cuba Street in Wellington. We need more funk in our lives! And it doesn't help that the economy for any jobs science related (a job for Dar) is just dead, and dead how we are feeling! This life of monotony is making me un-inspired, un-alive, un-adventure-full. And that's NOT what I want from our time here.

So, we're going to mix it back up. While I'm waiting on hearing back from the Science Roadshow Presenter job, and Dar continues his job search (in Wellington now :D), we are saying bye to our 15th floor apartment in CBD, getting rid of anything that doesn't fit in our backpacks, except my adventure hat, which I'm putting back on my head, and we're gonna see what adventure we can find. We don't have anything else lined up yet, we'll probably couchsurf when we can find hosts, and stay in hostels the rest of the time. Hostels are actually significantly cheaper than rent here!

We, as the official slouch managers, made an eviction notice for Amy...

And while life in Auckland hasn't been super fun in general, on the bright side I had a really good birthday! I woke up to a scavenger hunt made for me by Amy :D 


I got to open my present from Rob & Sharon that had been sitting on the table for a week - a beautiful purple shirt! And later, Dar and I went out on the bike and had ramen for dinner. And we saw Wreck it Ralph in 3d, which I've wanted to see since forever!


Dar has been baking bread like mad - loves of whole grain, chocolate, plain, and they are getting better every time. There is nothing like fresh baked bread with a little butter and salt. Yum yum! Today we're trying to get rid of everything in our kitchen before we move, so he's making a loaf with the green food dye I bought for his bday cake :D


And here are your bonus pictures for today!

I didn't know NZ was so ahead of the US for women's suffrage. Like 20 years ahead.





And an Emperor Penguin (actual size - makes me REALLY want to go to Antartica)


And this one is for Alee XD There is an entire gallery of these guys here - a bunch of them life-size!





No comments:

Post a Comment